Owens Valley XC Classic - Day 3 Task 2


Pilots just above launch in light conditions

Well this place is sure humbling...  I feel like I'm have no idea how to fly my paraglider anymore!

Conditions were similar to yesterday.. i.e. difficult to stay up! This time I made out a little better, with the first thermals around launch being all of 0.3m/s!   In other words, fighting to stay up right at the start of the day... I eventually made it about 5km, struggling all the way.  So I was down in the bottom ten who didn't even make the start circle of the race!



Scratching right off launch in weak conditions


Meanwhile, the rest of the field went on to climb up to 17,000+ ft over the White Mountains, and many finished the nearly 120km course.... Many are still in the air after over five hours as I write this.



Video From Leon Schatz