Learning to Fly in New Zealand


Learning to paraglide is not particularly easy. Probably a good thing, those that shouldn't really take up the sport are generally discouraged.

I learnt with the great team of Reuben Muir and Eva from Wings and Waves paragliding in the summer of 1999-2000.

Most of the training was done at a fantastic training and coastal soaring site called Maioro on the sandy cliffs of Kariotahi Beach near in Auckland, New Zealand.



(Photo: Wings and Waves website)

Like most new pilots, I could hardly wait to get my PG2 rating and be able to fly on my own at this fantastic, world class soaring site.

A weather obsessed local farmer had created a perfect weather station and you could check the wind direction and strength, jump in the car after work on a summer evening and fly until the sun went down.


I found this video years later, and it bought the memories of 'Kario' flooding back. I never met the author, but we are obviously kindred spirts, because he set his video to the exact same Groove Armada track that I use to fly to at this site...