Paragliding Experiences Review

What have been the key events in the development of my flying skills and experience?
Kariotahi – early flights
·         Crashing in the flax on one of my first training flights at Kario. Desperate for airtime as beginners are, flying too close to the hill.
·         Nearly having a mid-air with another student pilot launching at Maioro. He crashed into the hill rather than me, injuring his ankle, and I felt stupid and guilty for being so unable to assess the risk of the situations.
·         My first trips out Kario once I got my PG2 and could fly alone. Teaching myself to assess the conditions, sometimes being the only one on launch, flying alone. Realising for me the reason I fly – the aloneness, the responsibility that holds, the fact that I am making the decisions that contribute to my having a poor flight or one that leaves me buzzing for days.
·         One flight in light conditions at Kario – I did about fifty figure eights, working on smoother and smoother silky turns in the setting sun and perfect laminar air – sometimes just meters away from the cliff. That embedded into my mind the idea of Kario as my perfect site – relaxing yet challenging, meditative, effortless, free.
·         Doing big swopping turns to music high above the beach and waves on strong days, with my favourite music of the time.
·         Standing on my beloved Kario beach, telling myself that this is what I was willing to give up, in order to move to Germany to live with my new wife.
·         The frustration of getting motivated to fly in Germany, while in my immensely difficult first 18 months in Germany – overwhelmed by culture-shock and lack of communication ability.
·         The breakthrough of flying at Annercy, the flying site perhaps most contributing to my dream to paraglide, which there on holiday with Tash in 1998.
·         Tragedy, horror, mental anguish, and brutal comprehension of reality of the dangers of paragliding as one member of our German Annercy group dies in a launch accident after being picked up by a thermal, blown back over the back of launch, and suffering a unrecoverable, massive collapse just 20 meters above the ground.
·         My own moments of fear and euphoria in the strong Annercy conditions – climbing above the ‘Teeth’ to 2700 meters, wondering how the hell to get down above the landing zone in the hot summer valley winds, and sinking vertically down into a canyon in while going XC – and then doing the right thing, flying out of it decisively and aggressively with full speed bar to safety.
·         The thrill of landing in a quaint French field where I had never set foot before, with views of castles and chalets from the air in breathtaking scenery.
·         Frustration and victory at Piedrahita, Spain – landing in the same field three times on XC, before on my fourth attempt, getting a 1500m, 4 meter/sec climb that took me over the pass into the Avila flatlands to my personal best of 25km
·         The big collapse, 360 and spontaneous recovery at Piedrahita that came out of know-where and scared the hell out of me
·         The fantastic evening soaring flight that topped off that week, and hour of soaring in glass smooth and buoyant air, landing behind the bar for Cervasa in the sunset
·         Endless frustrating trips to Sopheinhole, the most hopelessly unreliable flying site I ever visited. I had much more fun there on my mountain bike than my paraglider…
·         Buying my new Pulsar wing the following year for a repeat trip to Piedrahita, but feeling unnerved and frustrated by the edgy spring thermals, the stronger, more energised reactions of the faster wing, and the bumpy, dissatisfying flying that characterized that week.
·         SIV in Slovenia – getting brain fade and very freaked out in a spiral dive after not eating enough during the day, and the long, hard thinking that followed
·         The crazyness, adventure and luxury I felt committing to my trip to Brazil
·         Thermalling up to cloudbase at Valedares, Brazil, chasing bunches of pilots dotted across the landscape. Intense, fantastic learning experiences about the art of thermal flying with our three surpurb instructors. Theory and then the immediate opportunity to put it into practice
·         Doubling my previous personal best to 52km, with an amazing 3.5 hrs in the air and at least ten climbs
·         Outflying my abilities and learning curve, resulting in the disastrous, abortive low save and unplanned side hill landing in strong sink, resulting in a broken wrist, in 32 degree heat, 5km from the pickup road! It could have been so much worse, but if I had not tripped and fell, I would probably never have learned so much about what my personal limits and tiredness, aggressiveness, and group flying limits were
·         Staying focused and underterred, and going to Mexico eight months after the accident, and flying at another legendary flying site, Valle de Bravo. After initial frustration, getting to thermal up the face and sides of the two thousand foot rock of El Penion, plus making video at the same time…
·         Feeling a little left out and pressured with lots of better pilots around me on the same trip. Getting the taste for XC flying, but just not really enough experience yet
·         Flying in Michigan – perfect conditions for a two hour flight being my first flight in 10 months.
·         And lastly, turning up another legendary world renowed flying site, at Point of the Mountain, Utah on a pretty strong day, and having two perfect 30 minute flights, two undramatic launches in strong conditions, some touch and goes, and great, safe top landings.