Rat Race Practice Day

First day at the 2012 Rat Race paragliding USA Nationals. A long drive in the morning, a long drive to launch in a hot school bus, then a long wait in hot, weak conditions on launch.

The drive was an adventure in itself. Passing through Weed, California at 3500ft at the foot of Mt Shasta, the freeway has blocked. As we detoured around, there were at least 10 police cars, with officers with guns drawn pointing down the freeway at something out of view...Perhaps unwisely, given what I'd just seen I stopped to pick up a hitchhiker. He was about 65, grey bearded hippie type, and proceeded to explain underneath Mt Shasta in the lava caverns is a Century 21 Agenda (translated - global conspiracy theory) security facility complete with concentration camps for the population when the government police state takeover begins... He did admit to using a little 'medical' weed himself, which might have explained some of the theories.
First sunshine on 14,000 ft mt Shasta from near Weed, California.

I'm in the Rat Race Sprint group in the event, where the focus is on fun flying and improving your skills rather than all out racing. However this meant for practice day that  we had to wait another hour in the hot sun while all the hot race pilots took off.

Getting ready to launch at Woodrat Mountain, near Jacksonville, Oregon

I was still tired from driving up from California at 4am, but as it was the official practice day so taking it easy, staying safe and exploring a new site was my strategy.

Woodrat is really a beautiful place to fly - a complex valley system, plenty of thermal sources, and every winery in the valley seemed be a designated landing field. I botched my first launch because the weak shifty wonds, so had to unclip everything and go to the back of the line to sort things out.  After untangling my lines I launched after our main group so missed flying with the main gaggle, so was out on my own getting to the start circle, about three 3km away from launch. Then it was across the valley on the first big transition, and unfortunately I'd forgotten to ask what the minimum height you needed to make it across. As a result I was a little too optimistic and only just made first turnpoint out on Rabies ridge. On the transition to rabies I saw someone come down under there reserve and land in a tree, which given that it was exactly was where I was heading wasn't so encouraging.

One at the Rabies turnpoint I had lost too much height to go further, and people were landing at the Longsword winery, so a complementary glass of wine from the wineary started appealing more than scratching further low on a lee side ridge or trying to get over the ridge with meters to spare.  My goal had to be just experience flying and the local conditions, so it was a short but nice flight.  A very long day but safe start to my Rat Race experience.

Rat Race Website