Too Windy to Fly

Too windy to fly so drove to Ashland for a bit of tourism. Ashland is famous for it's hippie, artistic community and Shakespeare festival.

Lots of nice little shops and noticably free of the normal franchises. I had a warm raw smoothie at a achingly hipster  raw food cafe and started Piketty's Capital bought from the local old style bookstore.


Some light reading in an hipster Oregon raw food Cafe

Along the way I checked out where I flew on Tuesday. I made a decision to turn back into wind to land in a huge field with other pilots. Looking at the terrain from the ground, I'm glad I did. If I had made the decision to push harder I would have been drifting downwind around a shallow hillside. Landing options of a four lane highway, railway lines, tall trees, industrial buildings and powerlines everywhere...

I also looked from the ground at all the ground covered that day. It's amazing to think that you can fly from one horizon to the other, with no power, just drifting and thermaling. What an amazing sport!


Looking back at the hills I flew along from right to left a few days before