Black Magic arrives

Nearly three hours soaring at Torrey Pines on Sunday in beautiful weather to test out my 'new' Ozone Delta 2.

The previous Utah owner Blake Pelton carefully selected custom colors and named it 'Black Magic' and I think the name will stick.  Black leading and trailing edge, with red and yellow ozone pattern. While flying it looks like it on fire with the sun above it, and it's totally distinctive from the ground or in the sky.


The Delta 2 meets expectations...I'm a bit late to the party as it's now 2 year old model, but my original Delta had fairly low hours so I wasn't in a hurry to upgrade. When I saw this one come available in the right size with such a distinctive color scheme I knew it was time to  pull the trigger!

Super solid on full bar, I installed the rigid Ozone two step speed bar rather than my unwieldy three step flexible setup, and now can go to fully accelerated in one push. 

I love the handles on the rear risers. On the original Delta I found rear rise control was a theory rather than a actual practice. On the Delta 2 the wing loves to be flow without brakes at trim. Subtle weight shift and one finger hooked through the riser handles gives precision control on glide, leaving brakes for turning and pitch control when needed.

Coming in to land at Torrey in strong laminar air the Delta 2 gives huge confidence with total precision to carve in tight S turns and then manage pitch and speed beautifully to ease out of energy of the turns into final approach.