Opps....Always do you launch checks

There is always a first time in paragliding for just about everything. We always hope that the first time incidents will not be 'last time' incidents.

In the weekend I Torrey Pines I had one of those first time incidents. For the first time in 17 years of paragliding I took off with my helmet strap undone. Actually, to be honest, several times I have left my buckle undone and other pilots spotted it before take off.

I was vaguely aware that something was 'off' as I did my launch run, but everything was ok with the glider, leg straps,  risers, wind and traffic.

As I leaned back to wriggle into my pod harness  a few seconds after launch I felt my helmet slipping off my head.... then out of the corner of my eye saw it dropping to the cliffs 200 ft below!

I flew around until it was safe enough to land, then went down the beach in the hope that the helmet had miraculously survived the fall, and rolled down the last section of cliff to conveniently land on the beach.

The cliff at Torrey Pines is nearly 400ft high and there is a shelf about halfway down. Below the shelf is a very steep and dangerous section which is climbable if you are daring and want an audience of dozens of naked beach goers (legally it is a clothing optional beach). Given the height it fell, the searchable area, and the dubiousness of the access, I decided not to risk my life on the small chances it survived the fall undamaged.

The helmet was a Icaro Iguana, which is a open helmet, so without the chinstrap there is nothing to stop it falling off except the minimal internal padding and a ratchet tightening system.  Probably with a full face helmet it would have just tilted back but not fallen off. I've really enjoyed wearing an open helmet after years of my full face Charly Insider.  With the full face helmet I often felt a little claustrophobic for the first few minutes after putting it on.  This incident did make me think twice about the wisdom of open face vs full face paragliding helmets.

Ordered a new Ozone Nutshell helmet as a replacement. This helmet has an optional full face chin section which I can install if I want to go back to the full face variation, so I get the best of both worlds!