Rat Race Practice Day - Saturday

After two hours of rain yesterday and unseasonable cold temperatures, we were greeted by sunshine, blue sky and a beautiful post frontal clouds. After the usual Rat Race briefing we arrived on launch and started piling on the layers of clothing - it was freezing! Most people had all their flying jackets on plus whatever else they could find.

The flying was strong and it was really cold above 6000ft. My fingers went numb after the first climb and then I didn't really want to climb high much after that. People that were a bit bettter dressed did get as high as 9000ft under the clouds, which is very high for this area.

The practice course went up to Grants Pass turnpoint and back, and I got stuck in Humbug Canyon, just like on the last day in 2014 at my last rat race. I used that experience to good effect and used the same trigger to get out again, but the headwind on the other side coming out of the Applegate valley was just to strong and I landed at Shultz Wines after a bumpy ride down into the wind.

Event Organizer Mike Haley giving the practice  day briefing


 Classic post frontal conditions on launch with 7000 ft+ cloud base, and very cold!

Bundled up with every bit of clothing we had!

My Landing at Schultz Wines