GPS Dump on Android

A couple of weeks ago for the first SoCal XC League event of the year, I realized that I didn't have any Waypoints in my GPS.

Reavis saved the day for me by using his phone to upload the .wpt file to my Flymaster from his Android phone.

I'd heard of pilots using phones as flight instruments and have been running XCTrack for a while. However I'd never seen anyone actually use GPSDump on phone.  You need the Waypoints already installed on your Flymaster for this to work. This will score you lots of kudos on the hill when pilots turn up to fly and haven't got the right waypoints (Thanks Reavis!). Just make sure you carry the cables with you.

 I haven't found a way to install trackpoints into GpsDump from the phones file storage.

It does seem like some phones don't like GpsDump. I tried this on my old Samsung Galaxy S5 and GpsDump refused to communicate with my Flymaster. Possibly old drivers or Android version.  Recently I upgraded to a newer phone and it worked immediately.

Step 1. Install GpsDump
1. Search for and install GpsDump from the Google Store




To Download Waypoints from Flymaster to GPSDump (assumes waypoints are already in the Flymaster)
1. Connect a MicroUSB On-the-Go cable to your Android phone
2. Connect the flymaster USB to the On-the-Go cable, and plug into the Flymaster
3. Open GPS Dump and tap WPT
3.Tap READ
4. GPS waypoints will download
5. Waypoint list will display.


To upload to the other pilot's Flymaster
1. Swap the cables to the other pilots Flymaster.
2. Turn on the Flymaster.
3. On the phone, Tap WPT 
4. Tap WRITE
5. The way points will upload to the Flymaster
6. On the Flymaster, push the menu button. Waypoints/Task should be highlighted. Press Enter/F3
7. Check the waypoints are displayed.

Download a track and submit it online

In competitions or local league events, it can be very useful to download your track and submit it online right after you fly. If you don't have one of the newer flight instruments with built in mobile connectivity, here is how you do it.

To download Tracklogs from Flymaster (Draft)
1. Connect the FlyMaster to your phone using MicroUSB and On-the-Go cable.
2. Open GpsDump on your phone
3. Click TRK
4. Tap READ
5. The tracklog will save in the location set in MISC/Preferences/Data Storage/Tracklog Data Storage
Note: I haven't managed to get this to work.  Any readers know why not? Email me at peter.j.hill@live.com if you know what might be going wrong.